Larsen & Toubro is a US$14 billion technology, engineering, construction and manufacturing company, with global operations. The Company addresses critical needs in key sectors including infrastructure, construction, hydrocarbon, defence and power.
A strong, customer-focused approach, conformance to global HSE standards and the constant quest for top-class quality have enabled the Company to sustain leadership in its major lines of business for over 75 years.
L&T won The Economic Times Corporate Citizen of the Year Award - 2013. It was ranked 4th by Newsweek in the global list of green companies in the industrial sector.
The evolution of L&T into a major engineering and construction organisation is among the more remarkable success stories in Indian industry. It was founded in Mumbai (then Bombay) in 1938 by two Danish engineers, Henning Holck-Larsen and Soren Kristian Toubro. Beginning with the import of machinery from Europe, L&T took on engineering and construction assignments of increasing sophistication. Today, the company sets engineering benchmarks in terms of scale and complexity.
L&T was the first company in India in the engineering & construction space to publicly disclose its sustainability performance. The Company’s annual Sustainability Reports highlight achievements and objectives across the traditional three ‘Ps’ of Planet, People and Profits. All our Reports are rated A+ by Global Reporting Initiatives, indicating the highest level of disclosure. The recognition that the Company has secured from forums around the world affirm public perception of L&T as an organization that contributes significantly to the wellbeing of people.
Record of Achievements
- Technological support in the launch and tracking of Mangalyaan – India’s Mars Mission
- The prestigious Terminal 3 of New Delhi airport – constructed in a record 36 months
- India’s first monorail in Mumbai
- Building major infrastructure projects including ports and metro rail systems
- Technological support for Chandrayaan I – India’s maiden moon mission
- Building of INS Arihant – India’s first nuclear powered submarine
- The world's largest coal gasifier made in India and exported to China
- The world’s biggest EO reactor for a petrochemical complex in the Gulf
- The world’s largest FCC regenerator for a refinery
- Newsweek, the globally respected and widely read news magazine, has published ‘Green Rankings’ - a comparative score card of the top 500 green companies. L&T is placed fourth in the Industrial Goods category worldwide, ahead of many of its global peers including GE, ABB, Schneider, amongst others, and is the highest in India in this category. (November 1, 2012)
- Forbes – the reputed US-based global business magazine – ranked L&T the 9th most innovative company in a global study. This is ahead of companies like Google that are normally associated with innovation. L&T was rated highest amongst Indian companies that made the list, and is the only company to feature in the top ten. (September 10, 2012)
- L&T’s Hydrocarbon business was presented the Infrastructure Excellence Award by India’s leading business channel, CNBC TV18, for the successful execution of the world’s longest heated and insulated pipeline from Barmer in Rajasthan to Salaya in Gujarat & Rajasthan Northern Area Development Project. (May 08, 2012)
- L&T’s Heavy Engineering business won the prestigious National Award for Export Excellence, presented by the Engineering Export Promotion Council of India. This is the fourth time that L&T has received this award. (March 31, 2012)
- The Indian Chamber of Commerce (ICC) awarded L&T, the Corporate Governance and Sustainability Vision Award 2012 in the ‘Sustainability Reporting’ category. (February 23, 2012)
- L&T’s performance in environmental conservation won market recognition as it was ranked third in a weighted tally of the ‘Green Index’ published by the Bombay Stock Exchange. Called the ‘BSE-GREENEX’, this first-of-its-kind index assesses the ‘carbon performance’ of companies drawn from the BSE Top 100. (February 22, 2012)
- L&T was ranked 10th in a prestigious listing published by Business Today of the ‘Best Companies to Work For’. (February 16, 2012)
- Ranked among the Top 10 in Standard & Poor’s (S&P) ESG India index of companies in terms of ‘Environment, Social and Governance’ performance. (January 20, 2012)